This delightful lush-green garden is located at Shahibaug, Ahmedabad; one of the oldest botanical garden in the state, started by Ambalalbhai Sarabhai in 1908. It is home to more than 800 plant species. one’s heart rejoices to see many plants families in this region and others which are not so familiar and have come from distant lands.
The Retreat Garden has sprawling lawn, Rockery plot, Jungle plot, Flower beds, Palm section, Hodge, Avenues, Nursery, Lily-pond and Fountains, etc.
The garden has a rich diversity of plant species and varieties of magnificent Trees, many of them are indigenous and other are exotic planted over the years. Most of the palms although of foreign, bear flower and fruit, and have adopted Udyana as their new home.
The garden is also home to diverse species of wildlife, including Indian Common Mongoose, peafowl, Parakeets, Mynahs, and varieties of butterflies.
The tours are open on twice a week every Tuesday and Thursday, except on Mondays and public holidays.
The Udyana guided tour starts at 3.30 PM and ends at 5.00 PM. Entry is free, and permitted only between 3.15 PM to 3.30 PM.
Visitors must pre-register for the tour, via our website (www.calicomuseum.org) or telephone (91-79-22868172/22865995 : booking timing from 10.30 am to 1.45 pm and 2.45 pm to 5.00 pm except on Mondays and public holidays).
The maximum number of visitors per tour is restricted to 20. For group booking request is restricted to 15 nos. of visitors only. Because of the large number of booking requests we receive, you are advised to book your place on the tour at least four (4) weeks ahead of time.
Visitors must submit the following details at the time of ‘Registration’ 1) full name, 2) phone number, 3) email id, 4) home address (Not Hotel/college), 5) profession.
Children below 10 years of age are not admitted on the garden tour; children between 10-15 years of age will be permitted to visit the tour if accompanied by a parent, guardian or tutor.
The Foundation reserves the discretion to admit unregistered visitors to the guided tour if registered visitors do not show up.
Visitors are requested to share some information about themselves in order to all the Foundation to meet their needs better.
Because of security and other concerns, the Foundation is constrained to adopt the following measures, which will remain in effect until further notice. Any inconvenience caused to the visitors on this account is greatly regretted.
1) The Foundation reserves the right to admission to the premises.
2) No handbags/baggage, cameras or mobile phones are allowed into the premises; it is recommended that visitors leave their belongings in their own vehicles; there is a provision for depositing belonging at the gate, but the Management will not be responsible for the contents of bags, etc.
3) Photography/videography is not permitted on the premises.
4) The Foundation is not responsible for any physical injury or loss during the tour; the Foundation is unable, currently, to offer wheelchair for the garden tour.
5) Please plan according to weather. You may want to bring a hat, sunblock and water on warm days.
6) We follow all COVID-19 protocols for the safety of visitors and staff.
The Foundation hopes that visitors will find their visit pleasurable and informative.
Tour booking calendar